The District of Lake Country is making an application to the Union of BC Municipalities Convention for support for a grant for a Community Wildfire Protection Plan.
If the UBCM approves, it will be submitted to the province.
Mayor James Baker says it’s an important move to try to lessen the threat of wildfire in the future.
“A healthy forest needs fire actually to keep the litter down so it doesn’t get too intense fires when you get them.”
Mayor James Baker says it’s been used in the past successfully.
“It’s not a case of clear cutting or anything or making a fire guard. It’s a case of removing the ladder fuels, the low branches that sends a fire up the trees and spreads so rapidly.”
Some of this has been done in the past, but this summer proved how important it is to get into areas that need it.
“In as much as we know the areas that are most critical to do as soon as we get the funding. We’ve done some already but there are other places where interface is such that the forest could be dangerous to structures if we get a wildfire.
The application is for 75% of the cost of eligible activities – to a maximum of $22,500.00 – and the remainder 25% is required to be funded through community.