The Downtown Vernon Association Chilli Cook-off goes this weekend, and yesterday Hailey from the DVA joined Kiss Mornings to talk about the event.
Passports are $5 and can be purchased at the DVA office or the Winter Carnival office, and the chilli trail starts at 12:00 Saturday afternoon.
This year there are 9 different restaurants participating, some of them new, some seasoned veterans.
So Shawn and I decided to have a chili competition of our own, we both made a bowl and let Hailey decide who’s was best.
She tried Shawn’s first and said that it had nice texture…but not a lot of lingering spice. Then she tried Jen’s.
Now I’m a firm believer that presentation is key, so I brought extra bowls of sour cream, shredded cheese, and green onions.
Now the winner gets bragging rights which is why I’m bragging right now…I won, neener neener neener, take that Shawn.
It almost makes up for my sorry excuse for a superbowl dip.
Here is the recipe for anyone interested:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans fire roasted garlic diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups frozen corn, (no need to thaw)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ tablespoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 whole chipotles in adobo, diced (can add some sauce too for some more heat)
- salt and pepper
- Heat a large skillet with olive oil.
- Add in ground turkey and cook until browned and no longer pink.
- Add the turkey to the slow cooker along with the rest of the ingredients (except for toppings)
- Cook on low for 6 hours, or on high for 4 hours, until the soup is cooked through.
- Serve warm with the suggested toppings above!
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- green onions
- tortilla chips
Check out the video below, and grab a passport and join us this Saturday for the Chilli Cook-off!!